Where am I?

9:49 PM


WORK
LEISURE
INTEGRATION
Vocation (giving)
Contemplation (receiving)
Integrity (being)
Career (taking)
Utility (using)
Achievement (doing)
Job (getting)
Amusement (escaping)
Gratification (having)

One of the things discussed in our Business Ethics Class is about the work-leisure-integration matrix. In this matrix, we are asked to reflect where stage we belong in terms of work, leisure, and integration.


Work


Level 1- “Job”- In this stage, we  work for economic returns or something that would satisfy our needs and wants
Level 2 - “Career”- In this stage, we work for the psychological rewards that we receive, and we focus on our goals and personal success.
Level 3 - “Vocation” - In this stage, we work because there is a “calling” for us to help the society.

In terms of work, I identify myself in stage 1 -Job, where I see my work as a source of money. For the past three years of my career, I switched to three different companies already. Yes, I belong to the era of growing millennials where job switching is a trend, but honestly, the main reason why I changed jobs is only for higher salary and higher market value. Although I receive a lot of good feedback and recognition in my previous job which really makes me happy and feeling fulfilled, I still chose to resign just because a higher salary is being offered to me in another company. However, right after reflecting on where I am in the matrix, I came to realize that work should be more than just money. I want to be on level 3 – vocation, someone who’s happy giving my service to others.

Leisure


Level 1 - “Amusement” -  In this stage we use leisure to entertain ourselves in order to temporary escape from our problems and stress.
Level 2 - “Utility” - In this stage we use leisure as a function, wherein we use it to “sharpen the saw” in order to be more productive in our career.
Level 3 “Contemplation – In this stage, we use leisure as a moment for us to focus on the spiritual aspects of our lives. We develop the habit of solitude, habit of celebration, and a habit of service for us to get closer to God.

In terms of leidure, I’m actually in between utility and amusement. I use my leisure time for education in order to improve on my career, but at the same time allocating time to other fun activities in order to relax and be happy. I spend most of my free time studying and doing my MBA requirements, but I still spend some of my time watching movies, eating out with friends, and reading novels.


Integration


Level 1 “Gratification” - In this stage, we enjoy consuming the economic benefits we get from working. We work for self satisfaction of our needs and wants.
Level 2 “Achievements”- In this stage, we work to get achievements and recognition.
Level 3 “Integrity” – In this stage we are working with integrity and become contemplative practitioners.

In this stage, I can say that I’m on the stage 2 level, achievement.  I always want to be the best in work, and be recognized in everything I do. It could be because I’m still young and I want to prove myself that I’m great by my achievements. After the discussion however, I am challenged to reach the level 3 – integrity. I don’t want to end up having just a lot of achievements but at the same time breaking relationships and causing conflicts with others. 

All in all, analyzing the matrix, I have not yet reach level 3 among the three aspects. I’m hoping that once I finish my MBA, I’ll be able to accomplish being in level 3.  Through the help of God and people around me, I know that someday I can live a happy life that is selfless and in service to others. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts